As the world renews at this time of year, why not refresh your living space as well? Lindsey Harrison of New Canaan Darien Moms offers nine quick spring cleaning tips and tricks to try at your house. Start today and tackle one task a week or set aside the next week and a half to get clean and organized more quickly. It’s time to hit the reset button!
1. Hide toys in plain sight.
Choose a storage bin (with lid) and reusable zipper pouches in a variety of sizes. A label maker helps, too!
Get rid of boxes and containers that come with toys and instead tuck them away in the pouches with custom labels. This way you know exactly what’s inside and they take up much less space (which makes room for more toys and games!).
2. Make your dishwasher look brand new.
- Remove filter and clean. Clear debris from bottom of machine and wipe down all interior surfaces.
- Fill a dishwasher-safe bowl with 1 cup of white vinegar and place it on the bottom of the empty dishwasher. Run a hot cycle.
- When the first cycle ends, sprinkle 1 cup of baking soda on the bottom of the machine. Run another cycle.
- Repeat semi-annually.
3. Refresh your carpet.
Freshen and deodorize your rug monthly by sprinkling baking soda + dried lavender directly onto the carpet or rug. Wait 15-30 minutes before vacuuming.
Create an all-natural, non-toxic custom scent for your space using this simple recipe:
- 2 cups baking soda
- 10 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Dried lavender flowers
4. Organize under the kitchen sink.
The area under your sink is begging to be organized. Measure the height, width and depth of your space and choose organizational tools such as these to place your wayward sponges, scrub brushes, and plastic garbage bags. A rotating tray makes it easy to find cleaning supplies.
5. Touch up paint easily.
Perfect for chips and scratches, this little brush is amazing to have on hand. Use these tips for an expert finish.
• Fill the syringe with paint of your choice.
• Deposit into pen.
• Securely fasten lid (you’ll hear a click).
• Twist to move the paint up into the brush.
• Touch up your surfaces.
• Clean the brush, fasten the lid and save for next time!
6. Deep clean the washing machine.
Did you know you should also be sanitizing your washing machine?
- Soak cotton balls in white vinegar and place in gusset for 30 minutes to reduce mold build up.
- Remove detergent drawer, soak, clean and replace.
- Wipe down gusset, interior and door.
- Run machine on hot cycle with 1 cup of white vinegar.
- Air dry. Continue to keep the door open between future cycles to reduce mold build up.
7. Make wood floor scratches disappear.
Walnuts are a superfood. Not only are they great for your health, but they are also great at getting scratches out of wood – consider them your new magic eraser!
With children and dogs running around, furniture and floors get pretty beat up. A simple way to fix these light scratches is by rubbing a raw walnut over the scratched area. The wood absorbs the oil from the nut, helping to heal the scratch.
8. Organize your spices.
Give your spice cabinet or drawer a makeover. Tackle your spices so the jars are not only functional, but also attractive. Here are five easy steps to get your spice rack in order:
- First, toss old spices. This practice is generally overlooked because the spices won’t go rancid, but they will lose their flavor (the stronger the smell, the fresher they are). Each spring, refresh your spices.
- Clean and wipe down the drawer.
- Decant into matching jars with pretty labels to keep everything consistent.
- Use an expanding organizer to keep everything on an angle and easy to reach.
- For smart storage – upgrade from plastic containers to glass, close the lids tightly and keep in a cool dry space to prolong their shelf life.
9. Hide your cords.
The easiest and most stylish way to conceal cords and clutter is to use an attractive hiding spot. These cane boxes also make a great place to hide your charging speakers or Alexa device!